Thursday, November 7, 2013

Don't Panic - Its a Part of Gardening !

Ok here you go, I not only deal with plants growing in my backyard, I also have to deal with some insects, bugs , discoloration of the leaves , water clogging  and god knows what more the nature holds for me  .

All these thoughts really turned up in to a positive One, after my little one came up yesterday near the door, asking what I was doing with the stick. Playing with mud? Can I join you? No , was my answer, there’s a little beetle here, eating up all the plant .

Qatari /Desert Black Beetle

Pic is for illustration purpose from net
The sunflower plant had turned yellow, I could find spider Webs on it a couple of days before, Sprayed water and left it. Late in evening yesterday, I could find these Qatari Black Beetles around the plant. Removed it manually and Tied it up in a plastic cover and dropped it in the garbage, didn't want to kill it .It looked so beautiful, Dark Jet black.
It was fun explaining it to my little one, who so curiously, took a look into the cover, and was happy to see the way it moved. I don’t mind having a few to see the excitement grow within my little one as long as it’s safe.

Snails

Pic is for illustration purpose from net

One of the other incident was on the panikoorka pot , had a couple of snails. It didn't harm much , it lived peacefully. But when I googled , it did say they were slow eaters and might destroy the plants . Didn't want to take a chance since these were plants that I wanted to keep , so I could minimize the cold and cough medicines that I give to My little one . Added Tea waste and coffee waste to the pots bed. This did reduce the amount that I saw later.


Ants

Black ants are other little creatures that I see every day near my plants; they don’t seem to harm my plants either, As long as they don’t get into my house, I guess shall let it go, otherwise I have plans of using turmeric or bay leaves, I also sowed mint in the seed tray and I know that is a natural deterrent as well.

Spiders

These are normally seen on plants, nothing much to be done except, cleanse off the plants with water. It does keep coming up, due to the vast dusty backyard.

Leafs withering

New  saplings that I placed in the ground, after a couple of days started to droop and wither.
I could find Green fungus formed on the soil and here you go that could be the reason; the water seemed to be clogged. What I did was aerated the soil with a spade , added some cows manure and also trimmed down the branches and it did fine .New leafs appear now.




Holes in the leaf /Moths

Vadamalli 


Pic is for illustration purpose from net
I guess these must be the moths, but i'm thinking of trying An infusion of onion, garlic, mash materials in cold water, leave for an hour, and then strain ,also Adding a tiny drop of detergent which will help the liquid stick to the plant leaves when sprayed.(update this worked for me )






What other issues have you faced and what have you done ?

No comments:

Post a Comment